POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Radiosity problem at high resolution : Re: Radiosity problem at high resolution Server Time
2 Aug 2024 20:22:30 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Radiosity problem at high resolution
From: Alain
Date: 6 Mar 2007 17:51:13
Message: <45edf061@news.povray.org>
JSR nous apporta ses lumieres en ce 06-03-2007 04:10:
> Hi,
> I have a problem with radiosity at 3400x1920 resolution.
> I use 2 pass radiosity: The first pass has deactivated transparency and
> reflections. In this pass there is no problem with radiosity and I save
> file information "scene.rad".
> In the second pass I activate transparency and reflections. If I render a
> test at 1700x960 all is correct, but when I render at 3400x1920 there is
> splotchiness.
>
> Source code:
>
> global_settings {
>   ambient_light 1.0
>   assumed_gamma 2.2
>   exposure 1.6
>   max_trace_level 6
>
>   #if (RAD)
>     radiosity {
>       brightness      2.0  //[1.0]
>       recursion_limit 2    //[3]
>       count           500  //[35]
>       error_bound     0.1  //[1.8]
>       gray_threshold  0.8  //[0.0]]
>
>       #if(SAVERAD)
>         save_file "scene.rad"
>       #else
>         pretrace_start 1
>         pretrace_end 1
>         load_file "scene.rad"
>         always_sample off
>       #end
>     }
>   #end
> }
>
> Any comments??
>
> Regards,
>
> Joel.

I always wonder WHY peoples think that they need very low error_bound? (0.1 IS
very low: 1/18 default value) It increase the rendering time, requier higher
count value (500 is to low in your case) and tend to cause major slpotchiness.
It also greatly increase memory use.
If you need more samples increase count first. Try using a smaler pretrace_end,
like 0.01 or 0.005.  You may set low_error_factor to a smaler value than
default, like 0.3 or somewhat less.
Upping nearest_count can help reduce splotchiness, it maxes out at 20.
You may have to increase max_trace_level by 2 or 3, maybe more, during the
second pass.

--
Alain
I can read your mind, and you should be ashamed of yourself.